M: (+44) 07530931434
Joseph is a British photographic artist working between London and Bristol and recently completed his MA in photography at the University of the West of England. Joseph’s practice is concerned with social and environmental roles, focusing primarily on our sense of place and how we effect and are affected by the environments we inhabit. Resulting in images which dissect cultural and social identity as well as environmental relationships through found objects and constructed landscapes. Working in a documentary style his works are able to play with the narrative imbedded within the photograph, allowing the viewer a postion of both fact and fiction, often playing with the photographs initial meaning. In-turn, this playful tension around the role of images in their cultural context, he is able to bring ambiguity to the work presenting the unfamiliar in the familiar.
His long term projects are often drawn from past events or experiences and are created in predominantly rural areas and areas of cultural conflict, using the dense cultural complexity found in the British Isle as his motif.
These themes have been applied to comissions in fashion as well as portraiture, bringing a depth of colour and strong use of tone and form, to build complex narratives to the stories he creates.
The Sunday Times, The Telegraph, Fabric Magazine, The Renaissance Magazine, Der Greif, Daniel P Tanner SS/2020 collection
MA Photography 2020
BA Photographic Art 2015
Shutter Hub Exhibition, YEARBOOK - 2020
RPS international 162, Shortlisted - 2019
PRESS, PUBLICATIONS, INTERVIEWS, FEATURES, ETC:
- An Oxbow Lake, Published by Another Place Press, 2020: https://anotherplacepress.bigcartel.com/product/an-oxbow-lake-joseph-horton
- AND/An annual selection of some of the best up and coming influential documentary and portrait photographers from across the globe, 2020
- QuoteUnquote/ How ruality is pictured in modern Britain: A lock-down conversation
- Photomeet, The Rural edition, 2020: https://photomeet.org/the-rural
- LOUPE MAGAZINE, 2020: http://loupemag.com/terrain-vague/
- BOOOOOOM, 2019: https://www.booooooom.com/2020/01/02/terrain-vague-by-photographer-joseph-horton/
- FOTOROOM, 2019: https://fotoroom.co/terrain-vague-joseph-horton/
- THEN THERE WAS US, 2019:https://www.thentherewasus.co.uk/terrain-vague-a-study-of-a-quickly-changing-landscape/
- BROAD MAGAZINE, 2019: https://www.broad.community/blog/2020/2/2/tuesday-talent-joseph-horton
- ANOTHER PLACE MAGAZINE, 2019: https://anotherplacemag.tumblr.com
For commissions and enquiries, or for a PDF portfolio, please contact via the details below,
M: (+44) 07530931434